Help Center


Find out more about the Cal Grant, Federal PELL Grant, AmeriCorps Grant, Foster Youth Options, and more.

Cal Grants

The Cal Grant Program is funded by the State of California. It is a grant program to assist California residents with paying for a college education at a California school. The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) is the state agency responsible for determining student eligibility and the type of Cal Grant the student will receive.

There are TWO Cal Grant application opportunities each year:

  1. March 2nd Application Deadline
  2. September 2nd Application Deadline

Cal Grant Notifications

CSAC will notify you by e-mail or mail if you are selected for a potential Cal Grant. CSAC will use the e-mail or mailing address on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

If your e-mail or mailing address changes, make sure you update this information on CSAC’s website for students. Also, you must update your information if you change schools. You can update this information on the same website.

High School Certification

If CSAC requires you to report your high school graduation status, you can do it by filling out the High School Graduation Certification Form. Just follow the instructions on the form.

Cal Grant Funding

Funding for the Cal Grant Program must be approved and included in the California State Budget each year. With the current economic problems in the State of California, it is impossible to predict the future of the current Cal Grant Program. Check CSAC’s website for the latest information on funding.

If you still have questions about the Cal Grant Program, CSAC’s website provides information on the various types of Cal Grants and you can get answers to many of your questions by reading CSAC’s Frequently Asked Questions.

Federal PELL Grant

The Financial Aid Office will only be able to pay Pell Grant at the level of units a student is enrolled in at the conclusion of the add/drop date. If a student adds a class at a later date, the Financial Aid Office will not be able to adjust Pell Grant eligibility.

PELL Grants provide federal funds for eligible students to help meet college expenses. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for this grant. Not all applicants will be eligible, and PELL Grants are usually awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or professional degree.

The PELL Grant maximum can change each year and depends on federal funding. The amount you receive will be determined based on your FAFSA results, your school’s cost of attendance, and your status as a full-time or part-time student.

Note: The maximum award amount is given for any Pell Grant eligible student whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after Sept.11, 2001. You must be under 24 years old or enrolled at least part-time in college at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) provides funds to students with the highest need. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for this grant. Since federal funding for this program is limited, FSEOGs are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis. Those lucky enough to receive the grant will receive an annual award of $600.

California Chafee Grant for Foster Youth

Free money for foster youth for college or career training.

AmeriCorps Grant

By becoming a volunteer with AmeriCorps, you will receive an education award of up to $4,725 each year for up to two years. This program provides full-time educational awards in return for work in community service. Students can register online to submit a voucher payment request form or they can submit a voucher through the Financial Aid Office. For more information, call 1-800-942-2677 or go to the Americorps website.

If approved, the funds from the AmeriCorp program will arrive in two payments. The first payment around the start of the semester and the balance at the mid-point of the semester. Students will need to pay for their fees and once Sierra College receives the funds, we will process a refund to the student.

Are you part of the California National Guard?

Find out about the Educational Assistance Award Program

Foster Youth Option

Chafee Grant for Foster Youth
Foster or Unaccompanied Youth


Was this article helpful?

Contact Us
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found