Help Center

Residency Requirements

To determine tuition and enrollment fees, Sierra College students are subject to the legal residence restrictions established by the California legislature. Residency is determined at the time of admission and will require a statement of legal residence.

Residency is determined by your physical address and evidence of intent to make California your permanent home. Proof of residency must be dated one year and one day prior to the start date of the semester or term you wish to enroll.

Residency Reclassification Petition

If you have been classified as a nonresident and you wish to be re-classified as a California resident, you will be required to provide documentation along with a Residency Reclassification Petition to be submitted to the Admissions Office.

Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request

Nonresident students can apply for a waiver. Please submit the California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request to Admissions and Records.

Requirements for the Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request:

  • The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED or California High School Proficiency Exam).
  • An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating. The affidavit must state that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible.

To read more about California residency information, please check out the following links:

Ten Things You Should Know About California Residency

California Residency Requirements Information

Fees/Refunds Page

Was this article helpful?

Contact Us
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found