Prerequisites and corequisites are classes that need to be taken so you can enroll into another class.
- A prerequisite is a class that must be taken before you can enroll into another class
- A corequisite is a class that must be taken at the same time as another class.
You will not be able to enroll into a course that has a prerequisite or corequisite until you have cleared that prerequisite or corequisite requirement.
Clearing a Prerequisite or Corequisite
Completing the Requirement
You can clear either prerequisite or corequisite requirements by completing those courses with a C or better or by achieving a qualifying test score.
If you are currently enrolled into the prerequisite for a course, your prerequisite will clear automatically when you register.
Transferring the Requirement*
If you have taken the prerequisite at another school, you can use that class to clear your requirement at Sierra College by providing appropriate documentation:
- You must submit a Prerequisite Clearing Form to the Assessment Office.
- You must submit official or unofficial transcripts or test scores from the school where you completed the course.
In-progress coursework from another school cannot be used until your grade has been posted for the course. Processing time may take up to 3 to 5 business days, or more during peak periods.
Challenging the Requirement*
If you feel you already have the knowledge and skill required by the prerequisite or corequisite, you may challenge the class's requirements by petitioning the course's Division Office.
- You must submit an Appeal Petition to the Division Dean and then to the Assessment Office.
* You are advised to meet with a counselor to discuss how to transfer or challenge prerequisite and corequisite requirements.