Help Center

Pass/No Pass

If you want to try a class but are worried about failing, you can take the course for a Pass/No Pass grade.

Rules for Taking a Class as Pass/No Pass

  • You can take one regular course per semester on a Pass/No Pass basis.
  • If the catalog limits the grading for a particular course to a letter grade only (A, B, C, D, F), then Pass/No Pass is not an option.

Pass/No Pass and Transferring to CSU and UC Schools

Keep in mind that some CSU and UC schools may have limits on the amount of Pass/No Pass courses you can use to meet degree requirements. The UC system has a maximum of 14 semester units graded Pass/No Pass of the 60 transferable units they require for admission.

Pass/No Pass Grading is Subject to the Following:

  • The Pass/No Pass course must be outside your major.
  • You must submit a Pass/No Pass petition by the end of the first 30% of the semester or summer session. Check the academic calendar or contact Admissions and Records for deadlines.
  • A grade of A, B, or C will become a "Pass." A grade of D or F will become a "No Pass."
  • You cannot repeat a class taken for a Pass grade. You can only repeat a No Pass grade once, for a Pass/No Pass credit only.
  • Once you file, you cannot withdraw the petition for Pass/No Pass option, and the decision cannot be reversed. However, if you change your major, you can change your Pass/No Pass grades to letter grades by getting a review from the Academic Standards Committee.
Was this article helpful?

Contact Us
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found