Help Center

Grade Disputes and Grade Change Petitions

If you have reasonable cause, you may dispute a grade by filing a Grade Change Petition.

When You Can Change a Grade

Your grades are final except when there is one of the following:

  • Mistake, such as an accidental act, omission, or error by the instructor
  • Fraud, such as a deliberate distortion of the truth
  • Bad Faith, such as an intent to deceive or an act of dishonesty
  • Incompetence, such as a lack of ability, legal qualification, or fitness to fulfill a duty

Do you think an instructor has given you a bad grade based on the above? If you have evidence to prove your claim, follow these steps:

  1. Discuss the matter with your instructor. Do this no later than 60 instructional days after the end of the term or semester.
    Did the concern occur in the summer or between semesters and you cannot contact the instructor? Contact the appropriate educational administrator. Or, contact Admissions and Records.
    If your concern is not resolved at the first step, then continue to the second step.
  2. Within 10 days after completing the first step, discuss the matter with the appropriate educational administrator or area dean.
    The administrator will attempt to resolve the dispute and will respond to you in writing within ten 10 days.
    If the concern is not resolved at the second step, then continue to the third and final step.
  3. Appeal the educational administrator’s decision in writing to the Academic Standards Committee.
    The Academic Standards Committee will respond in writing within 20 instructional days of receiving the appeal during fall and spring terms. During a summer term, they will respond within 60 instructional days.
    The decision made by the Academic Standards Committee is final. You must submit any approved grade change on a Grade Change Petition form to Admissions and Records within one year of course completion.
Was this article helpful?

Contact Us
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found