Help Center

Academic Renewal: Requirements and Filing a Petition

For students who qualify for Academic Renewal, all or part of their low grade received at Sierra will be removed from their grade point average. The grades will remain on the student’s transcript, but the GPA will reflect the kind of student they are today.

For a variety of reasons that may no longer apply, these students may have received a substandard grade (D or F). This may not be currently reflective of the student’s academic ability and performance. Sometimes these low grades can hurt the student’s chances to move toward a valid educational or career goal even though they have improved their grades since then.

Requirements to Apply for Academic Renewal

A request for Academic Renewal must meet the following guidelines:

  • The student must have completed a minimum of 18 units with a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher in all courses attempted since receiving the low grade(s).
  • A minimum of 12 months must have elapsed since the substandard grades were earned.
  • The number of units removed from GPA may not exceed 30 units, or be in excess of the number of units satisfactorily completed by the student since taking the course(s) with the low grade(s), whichever is lower.
  • Academic Renewal can only be applied to D and F grades.

Academic Renewal Petition

A student seeking Academic Renewal must meet with a Sierra College Counselor to complete an Academic Renewal Petition. The petition must be signed by the counselor before it is submitted to a campus Admissions and Records Office. If any of the required 18 units are earned at another college, an official transcript must be submitted with the petition. The Academic Standards Committee will review the request. For further information, contact a counselor.

Was this article helpful?

Contact Us
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found