Help Center

How to Request Dependency Override

Some students experience extenuating circumstances that may warrant the student being considered "Independent" for financial aid purposes. If you believe you are in a situation that would make you independent, you can claim a dependency override.

With a dependency override, you would not have to provide parental information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or other financial aid records.

Eligibility for Dependency Override

Circumstances that qualify for dependency override include the following:

  • abusive family environment
  • abandonment by parents

Circumstances that do not qualify for a dependency override include the following:

  • your parents refuse or are unable (due to other financial obligations or burdens) to contribute to your education
  • your parents are unwilling to provide information on the FAFSA; they are unwilling to provide tax forms or W-2s for review of FAFSA data
  • your parents do not claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes
  • you demonstrate complete self-sufficiency

Request a Dependency Override

To claim a dependency override, please complete the following steps:

  1. Print and complete the Dependency Override Request Form. Follow the instructions on this form before turning your request in for consideration.
  2. Complete and sign the FAFSA. Leave parent information blank. You may process the FAFSA on the web or submit a paper FAFSA with your Request for Dependency Override.

Submitting a Request for Dependency Override does not guarantee Independent Status. The Financial Aid Program Manager may ask you to provide additional supporting documentation to decide your FAFSA filing status.

Was this article helpful?

Contact Us
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found