The following writing resources and links can help you with your coursework at Sierra College.
Online Writing Labs and Writing Guides
The following sites offer handouts, exercise, and other resources on writing, grammar, and documenting sources.
- Online Grammar Quizzes from Cengage Learning
- Simple quizzes in subjects, verbs, sentences, capitalization and punctuation.
- Purdue University Online Writing Lab (OWL)
- Over 200 resources on writing, research, grammar, style, ESL, and professional writing.
- Colorado State University Writing Guides
- Guides on writing, speaking and research. Includes writing for specific disciplines.
- University of Wisconsin Writing Center Handbook
- Resources on academic and personal writing, grammar and citations.
- Writing the Personal Statement (UC Berkeley)
- How to write the personal insight questions for an application to the University of California or other four-year university.
- MLA Style
- Many Resources from the Modern Language Association (MLA) for understanding, using, and teaching the new approach to citing sources contained in the MLA Handbook, 8th edition, 2016. See links to YouTube videos on citing sources in MLA Handbook, 8th edition, 2016 style.
- APA Style
- The American Psychological Association (APA) documentation style: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Chicago Style
- Chicago-Style Citation Quick Guide
- ASA (Sociology) Style
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab's guides to formatting the manuscript, in-text citations, and references page of papers in the American Sociological Association style (Click Next Resource in the lower right corner of each page to access the other pages.)
- Research and Documentation Online
- Writing and research manuals for humanities, social sciences, history, and sciences by Diana Hacker
- Citing Your Sources
- The University of California Berkeley Library guides to citing sources in three documentation styles
- Purdue OWL Research and Citation Resources
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab's guides to formatting papers in MLA, APA, and Chicago styles
- Citation service provided by Calvin College. Enter the bibliographic information for your source and Knight-Cite produces a citation in MLA, APA, or Chicago style.
- MLA Style, 8th Editions: An Introduction
- Length 4:30. Marquette University provides a brief explanation with visuals.
- Understanding MLA Style (8th Edition, 2016 Updates)
- Length 11:20. Overview by Kyle Stedman focuses on the thinking process behind the 8th edition and highlights selected examples
- EBSCOhost Citations in MLA 8th Edition Style
- Length 11:17. Front Range Community College Librarian Jeff shows how to convert MLA 7th edition citations in EBSCOhost to the MLA 8th edition format.
A Series of Three Videos
- FGC-MLA 8th Edition Part 1: Using Research in Your Paper, In-Text Citations
- Length 7:35. Very basic and clear explanation by Patricia Morris, Coordinator of Library Research at Florida Gateway College, including reasons for citing, in-text citations, quotations, paraphrases, summaries, and signal phrases.
- FGC-MLA Style 8th Edition Part 2: Core Elements, Formatting Works Cited Entries
- Length 15:24. Patricia Morris, Coordinator of Library Research at Florida Gateway College, explains the works-cited list elements, format, punctuation and containers, quotations, and titles.
- MLA Citation Style 8th Edition Part 3: Template, Works Cited Examples
- Length 12:33. Patricia Morris, Coordinator of Library Research at Florida Gateway College, demonstrates how to use the template and where to find the information for it in sources.
- Modern American Poetry
- Read critical essays on over 100 poets' works.
- Bartleby Reference
- Bartlett's Familiar Quotations, The American Heritage Dictionary, Roget's Thesaurus, and many other classic and contemporary reference books
- Merriam-Webster Online
- Definitions from Webster's Collegiate Dictionary and Collegiate Thesaurus
- Definitions from The American Heritage Dictionary and Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary
Dictionaries for English Language Learners
- The Newbury House Dictionary of American English
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English Online
- Oxford Learner's Dictionaries